Who can join?
A boy who has not yet turned 18 years old can join our troop if he:
- Is at least 11 years old and finished the fifth grade.
- Or 10 years old and earned the Arrow of Light Award.
- Boy Scout Application is the first step to register with our troop:
- A youth application, which can be submitted here: https://my.bsa.us/092taa0012mb.
- An adult application, which can be submitted using the same link https://my.bsa.us/092taa0012mb. It is a decision by the troop committee to have at lease one parent/guardian to be registered from each family, to volunteer at least in one of the committee or leadership positions.
- Health and Medical Record/Form:
- This form contains health history, medications, immunizations and emergency contact information.
- The form can be downloaded from our resources page and printed.
- Parts A and B can be filled by the scout parent or guardian, and to be returned to the membership coordinator as soon as possible.
- Part C is required at least one month before summer camp, and it must be completed by certified and licensed physicians (MD, DO), nurse practitioners, or physician assistants.
- This form is valid for one year only and must be resubmitted annually.
- Youth Protection Training:
- For all adult members, Youth Protection Training is required for all BSA registered volunteers, to have the most secure and safe environment possible for our youth members.
- Youth Protection training must be taken every two years. If a volunteer’s Youth Protection training record is not current at the time of recharter, the volunteer will not be re-registered, which may affect the troop activities and outings.
- The training is an online 80 minutes long course (4 sections, 20 minutes each, can be completed separately).
- Start here: http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx
- All applications for membership are required to take Youth Protection training within 30 days of registration. (Applications will be canceled automatically if no valid YPT)
Starting 2018, fees are divided into three parts:
- Boy Scout of America registration fees: this is $33.00 per year per application (1 scout and 1 parent will be $66.00), and can be paid online using the same link for registration.
- Troop fees are $120.00 per year per scout. The troop fees are to cover equipment, storage, some events, ceremonies and trips, online tools, ranks and merit badges. Please pay fees by check, payable to “Troop 12”.
- Camp-out and Outings and some activities require additional fees to cover meals, equipment and camp fees.
- Boys’ Life magazine subscription is optional.
- The BSA and Boys’ Life fees are nonrefundable. Troop membership fees may be refunded with the committee chair approval.
- To renew the registration and the membership we collect the new year fees by last week of October of each year.
Uniform & Handbook
It is the scout’s responsibility to purchase his uniform and his scout handbook from the the local scout shopor online. And here are the items he needs to purchase and its price (note that the price may not be accurate, and we are listing them here just to give you an estimate):
- Scout Handbook ($15 or $20)
- Boy Scout Shirt ($30)
- Atlanta Area Council shoulder patch ($3.00)
- World Crest Emblem and Ring ($1.50) ($2.00)
- Troop (1 + 2) or (12) Numerals ($3.00)
- Boy Scout Shoulder Loops ($4.00)
The scout will receive his neckerchief once he has achieved the scout rank.
This link contains information on where each uniform item should be placed on the scout shirt: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Boy_Scout_Insignia.pdf
Optional Uniform: Cap – Belt – Pants